Hoppo Bumpo (n): A children's game. Played by folding one's arms and hopping on one leg. Aim is to bump opponents, so that they lose their balance. Last person standing wins.


July 01, 2011

Nanna



There's been a bit of a craft and writing hiatus in these here parts. Whoops. Something tells me its time to reorganise my priorities. Can you help? Let's close our eyes and repeat together: a tidy house is a sign of a wasted life; a tidy house is a sign of a wasted life.

Eyes open again? Good.

Last week (as the ironing accumulated, floor gathered dust and children went hungry) I managed to complete a small project. This is my entry for the "Hottie Cover Challenge Exhibition", which is a charitable initiative being run by retail gallery, Open Drawer. All money raised will be going to the Margaret Pratt Foundation.

Now to clarify, a hottie cover is something you put a hot water bottle into ... and not a handsome bloke from the front of a magazine. The latter was guessed by a hopeful family member. (Yes, I'm looking at you Argy and Bargy's auntie!)



My hot water bottle cover has been submitted as part of a large group entry, organised by the lovely Cam from Curlypops.

I jokingly told Cam I was going to do something a bit nanna. Sadly the only nanna-ish thing I could think to make was er, an actual nanna.

Anyway, here is Nanna sitting in a chair with a knee rug and her own hottie.



The front of the cover is osnaburg and the back is made up mystery blue and pink florals that caught my eye in Spotlight.



Nanna is a combination of dimensional applique, beading and free-motion machine stitching.

It was the first time I had tried "drawing" with a machine. This will come as no surprise to those of you who had already noticed that nanna has an unusually square nose and weirdly shaped feet. (Goodness gracious, lucky I wasn't trying to stitch that handsome bloke from the front of the magazine cover. Can you imagine what I might have done to a six pack?)


If you would like to see some absolutely beautiful examples of hottie covers - with not a square nose in sight - do try and pop into Open Drawer between now and 24 July. If you are out-of-town you can take a virtual tour of a selection of covers right here.


Hottie Cover Exhibition
1 - 24 July 2011
Open Draw
1156 Toorak Road
Camberwell

Exhibition opening
6 - 8pm Friday 1 July
All hotties are for sale with proceeds to the
Margaret Pratt Foundation

18 comments:

  1. Love it - you're so clever! I love the textured effect of 'drawing' with a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at this tonight at the opening and it made me smile - a lot. I love her!! Love her beads, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am unreasonably excited to 'see' you!

    And Nanna is superb. I'm 97, I look just like that.

    I cannot do freemotion! After Nikki's efforts on the patchwork the other day and now this? I so need to have a go and I am going to be sooooo disappointed it's not this good.

    "it's not slave labour, small children like cleaning house, it's develops their character" - and repeat!

    :D

    Cheers,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete

  4. There's been a bit of a craft and writing hiatus in these here parts.


    Yes. You have been missed.

    I love your hottie! Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nana had lots and lots of admirers... expecially that amazing free hand embroidery. You are superbly talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous! I wish I was closer to go and see the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this, nanna is awesome. Well done you. Can you tell the house to go bugger itself? Have missed your wonderful writing too much, and am not alone. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my goodness Liesl, I absolutely LOVE your nanna! You've outdone yourself co

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great
    loved it, will be waiting for your future posts
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Dear...,
    Really great thought here i read. Is it yours? Yes, then amazing writing and presentation. Thank you for post. Keep sharing with us......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi :)
    I wanted to tell you that your little nanna hottie has a new home! I absolutely love it and though I had EVERY intention of gifting it to my mum, I just can't bear to part with it now she is up on the wall! Well done - it's really cool!
    http://carrose-creations.blogspot.com/2011/08/too-many-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great website, looks very clean and organized. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool website, looks very clean and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very popular and descent type of design make more attractive and beautiful site .And it is also show your activeness and creative mind . It pleasing and surprising design

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you. This post is truly inspiring. I like your post and everything
    you share with us is current and very informative, I want to bookmark the page
    so I can return here from you that you have done a fantastic job ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello
    It is nice trying to It was the first time I had tried "drawing" with a machine.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Text/Call: +14049266094

    anabolic Steroid Pharma Shop, pharmaceutical, qualified lawyer, Steroid Pharma Shop. Good Stuff Available I’m allowed over 50 pounds in my possession. I am looking to supply a min of 1 oz of the following pills to anyone who wants grade. We do discreet ######## and no signatures during delivery. The parcel has no label indicating it is carrying the what. We do give high discounts for orders above 2 to 3 pound.


    For all interested, do email us back with your order. Below is some of our available strains Good for Pain, cancer, insomnia..

    #anabolic Steroid Pharma Shop::::::::::::: Grade: AA

    #pharmaceutical:::::::::::::::Grade: AA+

    #qualified lawyer::::Grade: A

    #Steroid Pharma Shop :::::::Grade: AA


    And many more..


    Deliveries 24/7 everywhere!!!! very clean smelling, awesome taste and VERY potent hash oil. purged for hours so no impurities left. used stainless steel tubes.


    Phone: +14049266094

    E-mail: info@steriodspharmashop.com

    Website: https://steroidspharmashop.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing what people have to say. Leave a comment if you like.